My Life has been changed Forever!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Approximately 6 years ago I went online to so some research. I wanted to find a something to help me with my sweaty hands/feet/underarms. At the time I just figured that everybody had the same problem as I did...you get nervous, you sweat. That is when I found out that only 1% off the population has what's called Hyperhidrosis - overactive sweat glands. Ever since I can remember I always had this problem. I've altered my life around this disability. I stopped paper scrapbooking because I would get horrible finger prints on my pictures and would get the paper all wet, I avoided holding hymn books with people at church, I would avoid using the same pens as people, I loved holding new babies, but would always hand them back soaking wet. I hated giving/getting change at the store, I avoided shaking hands when meeting people or at church, and the list goes on. I have tried every over the counter deodorant and got immune to all of them. However, there was no cure for my sweaty hands. I found a Dr. in Texas who specializes in a procedure called Micro ETS. He is actually from Utah and went on an LDS mission. That gave me the peace of mind knowing that I could trust his abilities. At the time I found him online, I didn't pursue it. My insurance didn't cover it and I wasn't prepared to pay full price.

Three years ago Ken switched jobs and I started looking into the surgery again. Aetna's bulletin stated that I had to meet certain criteria in order for them to consider covering surgery. I wanted to do it before the end of the year, but I had to make sure that I did everything they wanted me to do. I had met the first 3, but the last one was the only one I was waiting on insurance for to approve so they would cover it. #1 - I had to try the over the counter deodorant, Drysol. #2 - I had to have tried the anxiety pills. My dermatologist was worried about the side effects so he prescribed a cream to be made out of the pills to use on my hands. #3- Botox. I had this done twice under my arms. It lasted about 4-6 months only. #4- Drionic Device. It's an electromagnetic device you put under your arms and it sends electrical currents to deaden the nerves. Cost is about $300. You have to use it for 7 hours (1/2 hour a day) and it would only work for 6 weeks (if it worked at all). I found out after I ordered it in January that Aetna changed their bulletin in September '09 to say Botox could be substituted for the Drionic Device. This news was frustrating as we had met all our deductible and co-insurance from Sophie being in the hospital that some or all of it would have been covered. However, what's done is done. After finding this out I shipped the device back and got a refund and I scheduled the surgery immediately.

Ken has been considering a job change the past month. His new insurance would not cover any of it, so my decision to schedule surgery happened fairly quickly. My mom offered to come with me, but because she would be in Vancouver for the Olympics I felt like I couldn't wait...so I decided to go alone.

The anticipated day had arrived. As I walked out my front door at 5 am to head to the airport I started to get anxiety. I thought to myself "I can't believe I'm doing this and doing it alone". I sat by a woman on the plane who I briefly chatted with about my trip. She asked if she could shake my hand (maybe curious about my sweaty palms), I told her no. :) I don't think people realize the effect it has on those suffering from it.

I arrived Tuesday, February 16th. I had my pre-op appt. and met Dr. Nielson. He was very nice and confident in the changes I would see shortly after surgery. After arriving back at the hotel I walked down the street to get something to eat.

I didn't sleep well that night. I kept waking up every hour thinking I had slept in...I even set 2 alarms. According to the hotel shuttle driver quite a few people have slept in and are late for their surgery. Crazy!! I was downstairs on time at 5:35 am, but we had to wait for another couple to come down. This girl was coming to have it done for a second time to treat her severe facial blushing. Her sympathetic nerve had regenerated and she was experiencing burning and redness after 2 years. After waiting 10 minutes for them, they finally showed up and we got there on time, thank goodness.

After getting hooked up to IV's I waited around for the anesthesiologist to arrive. I was the 1st one to go back. The next thing I remember is the nurses trying to lift my head up to put a pillow under my head. I was completely out of it. 45 minutes later the other girl came out of surgery and she was chatting away and I was still struggling to wake up. I could barely complete a sentence. They took an x-ray (to make sure everything looked good inside) and Dr. Nielson came to shake my hands and I was COMPLETELY dry - even my feet. The results were immediate. For a brief moment while waiting for the anesthesiologist I though how I would kind of miss my worst enemy...but what was I thinking?!? :) I've adjusted my life around this disability for the past 20+ years, I don't think it will take me long to adjust to my new life.

As scary as it was to go alone to Texas (my first real trip by myself anywhere and even riding in Taxi's for the first time), it was a great experience for me and a chance to relax from my lately crazy life. I am grateful for the technology today and that I was able to get this life changing surgery. I wish I could have had done this years ago. I am grateful for my husband for understanding, or trying to understand, my desire to have this done. He was super dad and stayed home with the girls while I headed out for a few days. Lotion and I will now be getting reacquainted. :)

(At my post-op appt. I had a facial done, hence the red face & no make-up.)

6 comments:

Mechelle said...

How wonderful for you Brindy!

Allison said...

WAHOO!!!!

Jennie said...

Wow Brindy! I had no idea you had to deal with that. Life changing to say the least. I'm so happy it worked out for you and.... way to be brave and travel alone!

Smithfield home for sale said...

I'm so glad that you were able to do this surgery. I'm glad everything worked out for you so well. That's wonderful.

Dan and Anne Moss said...

Brindy I had no idea you had anything like that! I am glad they had surgery to take care of it and that you were able to do it! :) That is wonderful for you.

D'Neill said...

You poor thing, suffering in silence for so long! How great that you got to get this done - be sure to post a follow - up and let us know how it's working!